The East Moline Public Library was founded in 1915 by Dayton Outten. The original building was formally opened in September, 1921. In 1935, through the help of the Public Works Administration a new building was erected on the same lot. The addition to the building was completed in 1959. In 1999, with the help of an Illinois State Library Construction Grant, the building was made ADA compliant. In 2000, with the help of two Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs grants, the Library created a new parking lot and entrance from 17th Avenue, re-roofed both buildings, put in energy efficient windows in the Children’s Room and upgraded the air handling and air conditioning system.In 2001, the Library turned the former garage into useable office and storage space. 2002 brought us a new computer lab, compliments of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. From 2001-3 we were a part of the Project Next Generation initiative from the Illinois State Library. FY 2005 and 2006 brought us Even Start grants from the Illinois Department of Education to provide ESL and Parent/Child classes at the Library. In 2006, we received a donation of a plot of land just to the west of our current parking lot. In 2009, we waterproofed the basement and remodeled our meeting room. The future looks bright!